Home Forums Share an Effective Practice Accessibility and UDL

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Amber C. Lee 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Kathleen Bastedo
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 0

Though around since the 1990s, there is growing support for Universal Design for Learning (UDL). A portion of UDL is a way of creating course materials that are accessible not only to students with disabilities but to all students. The application of UDL principles provides strategies to address the learning styles of all students while breaking down possible barriers to learning.

In relation to this, ELI conducts an annual survey of its higher education learning community which consists of 900 members and includes accessibility and UDL as one of the survey topics. This year’s survey results has moved accessibility and UDL from #12 in 2015 to #2 in 2018. This is a significant increase in the importance placed on this topic that should alert higher education institutions across the country to sit up and take notice.

~Kathleen

1 user thanked author for this post.

Amber C. Lee
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

Hello Kathleen,
    Thank you for the helpful information! I found the article that reports the data you reference from ELI. The article links to a number of helpful references… I was especially interested in the UDL and accessibility information, as this is a focus area we are trying to improve in our pd right now at my campus. We already include accessibility information related to QM and also 3 pd sessions on different accessibility issues, but I agree that we should be doing more and as the article mentions, there are so many types of considerations and accommodations, it really comes down to a “care ethic” for all learners through the design of the course…

This is the article I explored for further info: https://www.educause.edu/eli/initiatives/key-issues-in-teaching-and-learning

Best,
    Amber

Amber C. Lee, M.Ed.

Doctoral Student, Instructional Technology, USF
    Instructional Designer, USFSM

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.