Home Forums Share an Effective Practice Checklists and Rubrics

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Olsen 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

Amanda Major
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 20

Ensuring quality and success for your online and blended courses, online programs, and initiatives through the use of quality checklists and rubrics exhibits that your institution has a compliance process, addressing critical legislation and accreditation standards. Which of the many quality rubrics or checklists work best for enhancing online learning? Why?

Amanda

Geni Wright
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 1

Amanda, I have found that the Quality Matters rubric to have several helpful elements that can assist in reviewing an online/blended course design. The QM rubric provides an excellent foundation to get started with some of the foundational elements you would want to include in the universal design of a course, including institutional policies and accessibility components that faculty may not consider in the initial design.

I’ve also utilized the UF Standards as a communication piece within the initial meetings with faculty as we start the course design process. Similar to QM, this provides faculty with both standards and annotations, but the examples provided help to reinforce the standards in a way that help faculty visualize the implementation within the course.

Unfortunately, the challenge with many course design rubrics is that you lose the opportunity to review how a faculty member may engage students in how they teach the course. As each institution looks to incorporate more online instruction, I’ve found that many of the course design rubrics can expand to include evaluation opportunities for institutions that go beyond a “face to face” course evaluation.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Amanda Major

Hi Geni,

I, too, find the Quality Matters (QM) rubric to be very comprehensive. (In full disclosure, I am a QM Face-To-Face Facilitator.) The rubric is based on a comprehensive literature review, and the annotations provide excellent rationale and examples for meeting the standards outlined in the rubric. The QM process is equally impressive. Faculty can evaluate their courses on their own or receive peer feedback for enhancing their courses, and the goal is for every course to eventually meet the QM rubric standards.

Here is more information about Quality Matters (https://www.qualitymatters.org/qa-resources/rubric-standards/higher-ed-rubric) for anyone who is interested.

Amanda

Jennifer Smith
      Participant
      Replies: 12

Geni’s comment about the QM rubric, and the UF Standards rubric for that matter being focused on course design is spot-on. To tell you the truth, as we developed the UF Standards, we were very careful not to stop on the departments’ ownership of the teaching process. That said, departmental peer review committees need some guidance in order to effectively evaluate online teaching practices.

With that in mind, I adapted an online teaching review rubric that was created at Penn State based upon Chickering and Gamson’s 7 Principles for good practices in undergraduate eduction. http://facdev.e-education.psu.edu/evaluate-revise/peerreviewonline The adapted version of this form has been well received by departments and faculty. It should be noted that I present the form as a “draft” that the department can customize to suit their particular needs. Also, I strongly urge faculty to use it as a self-review in preparation for peer review.

I attended an ELI short course on online course evaluation last fall (I think) that made a good case for separating the evaluation of course design from the evaluation of teaching. The presenters co-authored: Evaluating Online Teaching and the Wiley website for the book provides some useful resources including the evaluation form that I mention above http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1118910362.html

Jennifer Smith

1 user thanked author for this post.

Michael J. Nathanson
    Participant

We are in the process of forming a Quality Matters Consortium for Florida colleges and universities to share resources. If your institution is interested in getting involved please let us know. We envision an organization that would help coordinate the sharing of training and reviewing resources that would reduce the overall cost of Quality Matters participation. Please post how an organization of this type might be useful to you or your school.

3 users thanked author for this post.

V. Pope
      Participant

Michael, Tallahassee Community College Online is interested in being a part of the QM Consortium of Florida.

Debbie Blair
        Participant
        Topics: 1
        Replies: 2

Hi Vivian!
        We’ve been QM’d for a while!
        Debbie

Brenda Watkins
      Participant

Hillsborough Community College would be interested in this.

Debbie Blair
      Participant
      Replies: 2

Hi Mike,
      I’ve been involved with this initiative when you first got it started!
      Debbie

Jennifer Smith
      Participant

Hi Mike,

UF is interested. We are a QM subscriber, and QM review is an option, but we haven’t pushed hard on it partially due to cost.

Jennifer Smith

Jennifer Smith
    Participant

We have updated the UF Standards and Markers of Excellence from the version that is posted on the TOPkit site. We have adjusted them to bring the more in line with the guidelines put together by the state committee. Note that we have also added fields to suggest how the form might be used by reviewers.

Jennifer Smith

4 users thanked author for this post.

Jennifer Smith
      Participant

Oh, one more thing. We created “Quick Guides” to help faculty understand what is being asked for within the rubric. There is a quick guide for each section of the rubric. You can find them at: http://teach.ufl.edu/uf-standards-and-markers-of-excellence/

Jennifer Smith

3 users thanked author for this post.

Amanda Major

Hi Jennifer,

The Quick Guides you provided model exemplary practices in online communication and interaction, instructional methods, course accessibility, course content, and technology guides. Faculty can follow the methodology and examples provided to ensure quality standards are met. Thanks for providing the link to these “job aids” for faculty.

Amanda

Chris Olsen
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 3

Hi All,
    Thank you for posting all of the online course review options. Are there any options/ frameworks like this for classroom classes and programs too? To start I was planning on looking at the online ones to see what could be repurposed for a classroom course.

Amanda Major

Good question. Rubrics to review classroom courses and programs are few and far between. I found two.

Course Review Rubric for F2F Courses with Elements of E-learning
      New Mexico State University’s “Online Course Design Rubric” was modified from an earlier version of Quality Matters. It contains categories essential to quality design in any modality: Accessibility, Learner Support, Course Technology, Learner Interaction, Resources and Materials, Assessment and Measurement, Learning Objectives, and Course Overview and Introduction.

Program Review Rubric for Blended Programs
      The OLC “Quality Scorecard for Blended Learning Programs” provides benchmarks and quality standards for identifying strengths and opportunities for improvement within blended or hybrid or e-learning programs. This was developed in collaboration with experienced educators recognized for their work in the modality. Key categories addressed include: Institutional Support, Technology Support, Course Development and Instructional Design, Course Structure, Teaching and Learning, Faculty Support, Student Support, and Evaluation and Assessment.

Perhaps someone else knows of other quality review rubrics that are applicable to face-to-face courses and programs.

Amanda

Kelvin Thompson, Ed.D.
    Participant

Good question. Rubrics to review classroom courses and programs are few and far between…. Perhaps someone else knows of other quality review rubrics that are applicable to face-to-face courses and programs.

Amanda and All:

One of the few course-level rubrics focused on the blended/hybrid modality is the “Blended Course Self-Assessment/Peer-Review Form” offered as part of the BlendKit Course materials. Again, many of the dimensions addressed in the rubric are applicable to various modalities. However, the explicit orientation of this rubric is the blended setting in which there is a clear expectation of both f2f and online elements. Note, in particular, the emphasis on considering the physical/f2f teaching environment.

I hope that helps.

Kelvin

Kelvin Thompson, Ed.D.
    University of Central Florida
    http://linkedin.com/in/drkelvinthompson

2 users thanked author for this post.

Chris Olsen
      Participant

Hi Kevin and all,
      Thank you for the suggestions! This really helped me reframe my perspective. I now realize we need to look at the classes as all blended because they all have LMS instances associated with them. So the blended rubrics make sense and should help shift the thinking about how to design the course from face to face to blended. We just moved to a new LMS which automatically creates and enrolls the students in an online instance of the course.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.