Do we really manage learning?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Shelly Wyatt 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Josh Strigle
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 1

This is a little off the faculty development topic but it is tangentially connected.
    I’m probably one of the last hold outs but I’m curious is anyone else out there as stubborn as me. For the last 15 years, I’ve quietly cringed every time I hear the term Learning Management System (LMS). Can a faculty member or institution really manage learning? I manage the course delivery technology at my institution, manage some of the ways faculty are able to implement it and manage student technical support. Faculty manage their content, the course structure and design and, to an extent, communication within the course. I’ve yet to figure out how my office or the faculty member has the ability to manage student learning.

For those reasons, I cling to the term Course Management System (CMS). Everything that we can actually control with the commercial management software, known as LMS, is actually a course delivery issue. The closest way that we can impact learning is to properly facilitate learning, through a well designed COURSE and effective delivery. Have I sufficiently opened that can of worms?

Thoughts???

2 users thanked author for this post.

Shelly Wyatt
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 6

Hi Josh! Thanks for opening this interesting can of worms!

I think your observation is spot on and I too try to pay attention to language and how it shapes our perceptions.

Conceding that CMS is a more accurate label, are there benefits to using the LMS label? If there are benefits, what are they?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.