Go with the Flow or Manage the Process

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Amanda Major 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Heidi Schroeder
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 5

We invite you to share your Instructional Design Project Management documentation and strategies as a follow-up to our TOPkit 2019 presentation.
    Let’s continue the conversation!

Denise Dejonghe
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 3

Macomb Community College’s current Course Design and Development Process: http://bit.ly/DesignDevelop2019

I look forward to viewing examples, ideas and comments from other institutions!

Denise Dejonghe

Heidi Schroeder
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 5

USFSM Online Course Design and Development Procedures: https://usf.box.com/s/x08m53nplwgtcgtczaqc5qs73881zram

Amanda Major
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 23

Heidi, thanks for your and Denise’s presentation about project management. The activity during your session helped me assess gaps in my agile process. We’ve already begun to improve the process.

Amanda

Denise Dejonghe
      Participant

Hi Amanda,

How do you implement an agile process? Do you use it just for new online courses or all online courses? Is learner input included within the agile process?

Our research describes agile project management as collaborative and flexible. We notice at our institution that increasing collaboration results in huge improvements. When using technology to facilitate teaching and learning, change is constant so requires the flexibility/adaptability described in the research. I’m interested in learning more about how the agile process is implemented at various institutions!

Denise Dejonghe

Amanda Major
        Topics: 11
        Replies: 23

Denise,

Thanks for your question about our implementation of agile. I use it for my course redesign work with faculty members and for our TOPkit Outreach efforts. For my work with faculty members, we plan a course module using the method William described, then we develop a module. This gives us a chance to reflect and change our approach or design, creating more efficiencies as we progress through each module in the same method. For the TOPkit Outreach team, it involves a great deal of creative work. As ideas are generated we add them to a backlog. Then, we move priorities forward to production. We have just begun using Trello to help us keep track of these efforts and its completion.

I, too, am interested in agile project management for digital learning initiatives and organizational development. Let’s keep this dialogue going.

Kindly,

Amanda

Amanda

William Bachman
    Participant
    Replies: 1

Hello Everyone,
    While my team doesn’t use a SAM-E process or anything like that, we do try to apply agile principles to our work flow in a variety of ways.
    -We believe in having flexible roles, that allow us to focus on getting work done rather than second-guessing who is responsible for what.
    – Whenever possible, we avoid “branding” our learning objects to any particular course or module. This way the objects can be moved around more easily.
    -We build our course map throughout the course development process, starting with objectives and assignments, rather than building it all upfront. We then edit and revise throughout the development process which makes us able to be more flexible as the instructor’s ideas for the course change and develop over time.

Denise Dejonghe
      Participant

Hi William,

Thanks for sharing your team process! Our faculty perform all their own course development but do not have course design training. What agile principles should our instructional design team consider to support them as they design and develop their courses?

Denise Dejonghe

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.