Home Forums Share an Effective Practice Instructional Media Tool Exploration

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alexandra Bitton Alexandra Bitton 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Allison Archer
    Allison Archer
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 3

In evaluations submitted by our faculty upon completion of our Teaching Online course, we found a common request for exposure to more instructional media tools. Our team had reservations about modeling and teaching too many tools for fear that the learning curve would be overwhelming. One solution we devised is to have an instructional media tool exploration assignment. This VoiceThread assignment showcases effective use of an instructional media tool and guides participants to explore as many or as few tools as they wish. The tools are listed by tool type in a presentation upload to VoiceThread. Participants find a tool they feel could be effectively employed in their own course and create a video comment on the slide the tool is listed on. The video comment must include an overview of the tool, descriptions of the ways in which the tool might be used in an online course, and challenges or barriers that one might encounter when using and incorporating the tool into an online course. Then they can view colleagues’ posts for ideas about how to incorporate various tools.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Profile photo of Michelle Piper
    Michelle Piper
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 6

This is a great idea. We have been considering a similar assignment for our TOC course. What have faculty reactions been? Have they continued to use the tool once they leave the course?

We encountered a similar issue so created the course below. It is more of a library than a course as it is self-paced and there are no requirements or assignments to complete. As we find new tools, we post them to the course along with accessibility concerns, pricing, trial periods and such. It is a good place to send faculty for the “I want to try something new” questions. They come back with a tool or two and then we focus our work with them on that one tool. If a tool gains enough interest, we develop a workshop, but this course has been a great proving ground for tools prior to launch.

ITT1009: Smorgasbord of Technology

This course is a little bit of everything instructional technology related. In this course you will be introduced to several different services, some free and others fee based. The types of technologies included are: Accessibility/Copyright info, Media: Lists and Portals, Media: Graphics, Media: Video, Sounds and Music, Learning Activities, Tools: Presentations, Tools: Video Casting, Pre-packaged Lessons and Apps- Mobile. Although these are some ideas, we can’t cover all of them out there. You will also have the chance to share some of the tools you have found and love in a discussion with your fellow faculty!

Profile photo of Amanda Major
    Amanda Major
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 9

I really like the idea of creating a course enabling faculty to explore new tools. Providing faculty information about accessibility, pricing, and trial period of each tool, as well as some ideas for how to use the tools to achieve pedagogical goals could prove very beneficial. Not only would this resource make it easier for faculty to make decisions about new instructional technology adoption, it should also increase appropriate instructional technology utilization. I really like the idea of bringing to faculty members’ awareness the accessibility limits for each tool, as this is an important component of whether or not to adopt new tools.

Have you had much feedback about the “Smorgasbord of Technology” course from faculty members?

Amanda

Profile photo of Michelle Piper
      Michelle Piper
      Participant
      Replies: 6

I am not able to provide access to the course, so I wanted to provide a few screenshots to give a basic idea. We only recently launched and marketed this course, but the reaction has been positive. It provides that “next step” for our more advanced faculty without the need to create entire workshops.

[attachment file=1626]

[attachment file=1627]

Profile photo of Alexandra Bitton
    Alexandra Bitton
    Participant
    Replies: 2

This is a great Idea. I especially appreciate having faculty share their use and experience with the tools. I think that is particularly helpful, rather than simply having a vendor tell faculty about the tool or see the tools marketing and training materials. We host an annual event Faculty Seminar day called interface where faculty share tools and techniques in ten minute sessions and participants can pick which sessions and tools to go explore. It works very well but this seems like a way of making this available throughout the year. Great Idea! Thanks for sharing.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.