Online Course Map

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Allison Archer
      Participant
      Topics: 5
      Replies: 3

The thought of creating an online course for the first time can be daunting. Providing faculty with a planning tool such as a blank Course Map can simplify the task. The UNF ID Team offers this tool as a starting point for course development.

Completing a Course Map can help to:

Chunk content into a modular structure
      Plan for multiple means of content delivery to accommodate varied learning styles
      Organize online activities and assessments
      Check for alignment in objectives, instruction, activities, and assessments

Attached is an example of a blank Course Map document.

Attachments:
      1. Course-Map.docx
      3 users thanked author for this post.
      Michelle Piper
      Participant
      Topics: 3
      Replies: 7

This is an excellent resource. Thank you for sharing.

Ryan Keith
      Participant
      Topics: 2
      Replies: 1

This is a really great idea. I can’t believe I never thought of doing this before, but the course map could be helpful for both faculty and students. I think that just the process of creating the course map would be helpful for solidifying your ideas about organization and progress in the course. Building on this, I could imagine that a visual, “mind map” style course map could help represent sections, subsections, and connections among pages even more clearly. Thanks for the great concept–I’ll have to put this in my next class!

Wendy Howard
        Participant
        Replies: 27

I agree this is a great idea Ryan.
        When I first read Allison’s post I was thinking in terms of designing a new course, but as I read your reply I started thinking this could also be a great tool for updating an older course. I suspect through the process of mapping out the current course organization, one would spot gaps or areas for improvement. This could serve as a catalyst for rethinking or redesigning a course that may have gone stale over time.

Katie Profeta
      Participant

Allison –

Thank you for sharing this resource! We utilize a similar document at Indian River State College when designing and developing online courses. The faculty member/subject matter expert utilizes it primarily. After the instructional designer has evaluated and approved the document, it becomes the blueprint for course development.

Katie Profeta
      Virtual Campus Technician
      Indian River State College
      kprofeta@irsc.edu

Heidi Schroeder
      Participant
      Topics: 4
      Replies: 5

Thanks for sharing! We use a similar course map (attached) organized in a slightly different format. I like your final row – to identify the alignment in the module. I will work to add that into our course map!

Nikki Schutte
      Participant
      Topics: 0

We also have something similar that we call a Course Plan. Faculty fill this in as the first step. Then we have another document called our Unit template where they fill in all the details for each unit including an area where they note the connection between the activities and the unit objectives.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Abu Bakkar
      Participant
      Topics: 0

Teaching Online: Key Tricks

Online teaching is the future of modern education. Between MOOCs, long-distance classes and a culture of taking unknown and unique courses in pursuit of passion, online education has grown exponentially in the past few years. In this day and age, online learning has become the future of education. Here are a few steps to take when you are delivering online classes. These are the few tips that should help you understand the online teaching process in greater detail.

Discuss:
      Avoid one-sided lectures when teaching online. Make a point to have not more than five minutes of speaking time followed by a small question-answer session. The main point is to make sure that the student does not zone out and become monotonous. Make sure that you talk for small portions of time and then as them to explain back what they have learned in the listening session. This will lead to clear concepts and they will also revise their topics hand in hand.

Online groups:
      Have a social media group for all the students you are teaching online. Have interactive study tips, discussions and other exchanges regularly so that they feel engaged in the class. This is a good way to make sure that all the students are at the top of their workload and there is no confusion at all.
      Innovative Study Plans:
      The modern study plans cannot be simple and old lectures and feedback style. Make a study plan that asks them to exercise their learning in many ways. Do not ask them to repeat what you just said. Instead, ask them to answer a complex and practical question regarding your topic of focus.

Get in Touch:
      The best course of action is that the students should always stay in touch with your teachers. So text them on IM regularly and make sure that they are up to the mark on everyday lectures. You need to make sure that they are up with the lectures, study plans and you need to help them out personally. Most students do not inform their instructors when they are having a difficult time. So you have to personally ask them every day.
      All in all, there are few ways to make sure that the students are keeping up with all the study plans and they should work for you as well.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.