Faculty Development Models

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dale Drees 2 years ago.

• Author

Amanda Major
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 21

Successful faculty development models are designed to fit the people, institutional climate, and organizational culture. A one-size-fits all approach does not exist. Successful models may involve any combination of professional development: self-teaching, peer mentoring, collaborative course design, workshops, training, quality assurance, and more. What faculty development pathways are available at your institution?

Amanda

Hala Esmail
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 3

We offer several several resources and service for faculty on campus. These include:

– Workshops and webinars: https://training.lsu.edu
    – Customized department training
    – One-on-one and group consultations
    – Showcases and other events (e.g., showcasing faculty use of technology in teaching)

We recently established a faculty learning community for anyone who is interested in online teaching and learning (the Online Teaching Cohort: https://grok.lsu.edu/Article.aspx?articleid=18041). We found this to be an effective way to engage faculty and provide support.

Through the LSU Learning and Teaching Collaborative, we hope that more opportunities will be provided for faculty. I would be interested to hear from others regarding experiences with peer mentoring at their institution.

-Hala

2 users thanked author for this post.

Amanda Major
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 21

Hala,

Thank you so much for your response. You offer a variety of avenues for faculty to attain the professional development. Providing a setting where faculty members can share ideas about effective practices in a faculty learning community of practice enables faculty to share their best practices and build on others ideas, optimizing engagement. I really like how your faculty have the opportunity to decide on the topic of focus for planning the next demonstration, hands-on activity, or guest speaker. I would love to hear more about the factors that you believe contribute to the success of the faculty learning community at your large, public, research intensive University . . .

I know you were interested in hearing from others in regards to peer mentoring. Peer mentoring usually occurs informally in many departments, but, I agree, I am curious if others have established or even encouraged peer mentoring for preparing faculty to teach, design, develop, enhance, or maintain their online courses.

Amanda

Dale Drees
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 6

This is a 6 week course that we use at SCF for our basic introduction to online teaching. It is centered around learning Canvas and has one week dedicated to Accessibility and they deliver a final project (the course they will be teaching online in the future).
    Dale

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.